Concrete is widely used for patios, walkways, and driveways due to its durability and longevity. However, it is still vulnerable to wear and tear, especially in high-traffic areas. Many homeowners use concrete sealing to protect the surface and keep it looking great for years. While spot sealing may seem quick and cost-effective for small problem areas, it's not a good fix.
Check Out Our Line of Interior Concrete Sealers
What is Concrete Sealing?
Concrete sealing involves applying a protective layer to a concrete surface, which helps prevent damage and improves durability and appearance. Sealing concrete is a cost-effective way to maintain its appearance and protect it from damage over time.
What is Spot-Sealing?
Concrete spot sealing repairs small cracks, holes, or flaws by sealing them with waterproof material. This technique prevents water from causing further damage, extending the lifespan of the concrete. It is cost-effective because it only targets problem areas, leading to less disruption and resource conservation.
Reasons Why Spot Sealing Does Not Work
Regarding concrete surface protection, spot sealing is a common practice for homeowners. However, there are several reasons why it doesn't work and can cause more problems in the long run:
- Only addressing visible damage or staining: Spot sealing only addresses the areas of the concrete surface that are visibly damaged or stained. This means that the rest of the surface remains unsealed and vulnerable to future damage. For example, a concrete driveway may have oil stains in a few areas. The homeowner may decide to spot-seal only those areas. However, the unsealed areas are still exposed to the elements, which can cause further damage and require additional repairs.
- Moisture penetration: Spot sealing does not prevent moisture from penetrating the unsealed areas. When moisture penetrates the unsealed areas of the concrete surface, it can cause the concrete to expand and contract, leading to cracking and deterioration.
- Uneven appearance: When spot sealing is used, the sealed areas can be easily distinguished from the rest of the surface, leading to an uneven appearance. This can detract from the property's overall aesthetic appeal and may even decrease its value. For example, sealed areas may appear glossier and darker than unsealed areas.
In contrast, total surface sealing creates a uniform appearance across the entire surface. It also provides comprehensive protection from moisture, chemicals, and other substances, which can prolong the life of the concrete surface and save the homeowner money on future repairs and maintenance costs.
Why Must You Seal Your Entire Surface?
Sealing the entire surface of your concrete is a crucial step in protecting it from damage and ensuring its longevity. Here are some reasons why total surface sealing is the best way to protect your concrete surface:
- Protective barrier: When the entire surface is sealed, it creates a protective barrier that prevents moisture, chemicals, and other elements from penetrating the surface. This is especially important in areas with harsh weather conditions or high foot traffic, where the concrete surface is more vulnerable to damage. For example, in areas with heavy rainfall or snow, moisture can seep into the pores of unsealed concrete and cause cracking or deterioration over time.
- Prolongs the life of the concrete: You'll save on repairs and maintenance costs in the long run. Additionally, it helps maintain the concrete's structural integrity, reducing the risk of accidents and injuries.
- Uniform appearance: Total surface sealing creates a uniform appearance across the entire surface, enhancing the overall aesthetic appeal of your property. This is especially important if you have a concrete surface that is highly visible, such as a driveway or patio. A uniform appearance can make your property look more polished and professional, increasing its value and curb appeal.
- Increases the value of your property: By investing in total surface sealing, you're protecting your concrete surface and increasing the value of your property. A well-maintained and visually appealing property is more attractive to potential buyers. It can command a higher price in the real estate market.
Check Out Our Line of Interior Concrete Sealers
The Importance of Total Surface Sealing for Long-Term Durability and Aesthetics of Your Concrete Surface
Spot-sealing concrete may seem like a quick fix, but it's not permanent. Total surface sealing is the best way to protect your concrete surface from damage and enhance its appearance.
By investing in total surface sealing, you'll save money on future repairs and maintenance costs while increasing the value of your property. Contact a professional concrete sealing company to learn how total surface sealing can benefit your property.
If you're looking for reliable and professional concrete sealing products, look no further than Endur-O-Seal®. Call 1-800-259-8855 today to learn more about how we can help protect and enhance the durability and aesthetics of your concrete surface.